Sunday, 12 August 2012

Finished at Last!

On this occasion, the suppliers delivered the right vinyl floor covering!

It’s a pale, mottled colour, as I wanted the studio to be light and bright, although I may regret that choice in the future.P1070399 

That doesn’t look very exciting, does it? It’s much better in the flesh (I mean – in the plastic).


There are cupboards in the eaves, down both sides. I seem to have so much stuff now -  I may need an extension to the loft conversion!


Here is my lovely Gammill. This is the only time it will be displayed in such a clear space. In fact, even as I write, the previously uncluttered area  has now been sullied by having the contents of about fifty boxes emptied out into it.

Dare I even consider visiting the Festival of Quilts next week? Oops! Too late! I’ve already bought the tickets!

Course With Frances Pickering.

Recently, I was fortunate to attend a bookmaking workshop with Frances Pickering. It’s difficult to get onto these workshops, as Frances is so popular and after experiencing the Summer School, I can see why.

The theme was Mediaeval. I don’t want to give away too much about the techniques involved but we made the covers first, using paint, print, etc, then we stitched into them. Frances showed us how to make beautiful, random effects on the inside pages of the book. I’m including a few of the pages I did at the workshop but I haven’t completed the book yet.

If you enjoy making books, I thoroughly recommend going on a course with Frances. This year, she’s teaching an extra course at Hawkwood because of the constant demand. I’d also recommend Hawkwood if you enjoy delicious, home-cooked food. I’m sure that I came home heavier than when I went! Needless to say, I’ve booked again for next year!


Here is Frances demonstrating how to achieve the random effect on the pages.


This is my front cover, inspired by one of the many interesting reference books which Frances brought along. I made a scribble sketch and then stitched into it.


Here is the back cover. This time, I made a printing block from self-adhesive funky foam and mount board.


This is the inside cover, which included some (loosely described as) French knots. It’s unusual for me to include hand stitch so that was a momentous occasion.


I’m just showing a few of the pages with the technique that Frances showed us.