Tuesday, 31 May 2011
I bought a pad of this paper a long time ago. It's called Schut Aquarel Flamboyant watercolour paper. The surface is very rough and it was very expensive. Every now and then I would take it out and admire (stroke) it, then put it away again. It seemed much too special to use.
I came across it last night when I was looking for something else and it seemed perfect for this colour mixing sample.
Close up of the pastel sketch washed over with black ink.
Close up of the other side, which looks less striking without the ink.
Thursday, 19 May 2011
I've just included this close up of the kitchen towels to show the texture, as it didn't show up in my last batch of photographs. They were very absorbent and really drank up lots of paint. On the bright side, after they are dry they can be peeled and the three layers can be split.This means that you get three textured, co-ordinating sheets of paper.
Sian made a valid comment in her feedback - that many of my samples in picture 9 looked similar in tone. I think I probably concentrated too much on the bright colours and not enough on the darks. Here, I've added some more of the darker colours to get a greater range.
These samples are on thin wrapping paper - white, with denser fibres scattered about on it.
Just three more on watercolour paper. The sample on the right looks very pale but it wasn't at all. This is the third picture I took, too!
Sunday, 15 May 2011
I enjoyed this activity and decided to continue it using different types of pictures and colour combinations. This is one of my favourite colour investigations in this chapter. I like the strong contrast between the lights and darks and the mysterious, moody palette of colours.
I liked the gentle blues, lilacs, peaches and greens in the left hand picture.
I'd probably prefer the right hand colour scheme with the addition of more blues and oranges and more contrast. As it is, it looks a bit bland.
I was pleased with the results of this activity and I think that the dyed fabric colours turned out to be a good match to the photograph.
These colour swatches are displayed on two sheets of A2 card. The coloured squares seemed to get everywhere, especially after I put a book down too quickly and sent them all into orbit!
Considering how many colour circles I've done in the past, this took longer than I expected. Perhaps that means that it was high time I did another one! Once again, I painted a lot of test samples before filling in the sections.
I quite enjoyed making some samples with foodstuffs and make up and was tempted to do more. In the end, I decided to carry it over to the dyeing chapter instead.
It was quite a nice change to work with a different colour palette!
I really love this colour scheme, especially after the addition of more darker samples (in colour study 2). The warm oranges, reds and golds are exciting when combined with the purples and plums.